Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Chinese New Year 恭喜发财

Sunday was the first day of the year of the Tiger. I wasn't so sure what to expect, but the Chinese sure know how to start off their year in style. It's been fireworks and firecrackers galore. All of the Chinese are taking the week off to go home and visit family and friends. The atmosphere is kind of like Hari Raya where half of everything is closed.

While I was in India I met Kaja, who is from Norway. We traveled a bit and became buds. Her friend, Linn, came to Penang so we spent yesterday walking around Georgetown seeing what the Chinese were up to. They were partying.

We went to this temple called Kek Lok Si, which is supposedly the largest Buddhist temple in Southeast Asia. It looked really cool and had lights all over it. As any Buddhist temple, it had a very calm and soothing atmosphere. I took pictures, but haven't uploaded them yet. Here's some image I found on Google:

























On Tuesday morning I'm heading to Kuala Lumpur for a night or two, then onto Malacca, and finally Singapore for the weekend.


Gong Xi Fa Cai!

The OFFICIAL Malaysian Chinese New Year song

Chinese Lion Dance
, which is really cool.


I'll try my best to post once while I'm traveling.

Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment